Friday, February 8, 2013

V8333: Finishing the Collar and Building the Sleeves (Steps 67-76)

Hey, remember this?  Back in March and April of 2011 I had tackled Claire Schaeffer's coture tailored suit jacket, pattern V8333.


Sadly, this project fell by the wayside when I moved in the spring of 2011 and was never picked back up... until last night!  Now that the show is up and running, I wanted to make some headway on one of my New Year's resolutions and complete the many UFOs sitting around my sewing room.  So last night I pulled out this particular unfinished project and got my lazy behind back to work!

When we last looked at this jacket, I had more or less finished the collar but gave up on the final "collar" step, handstitching along the gorge line because I had simply run out of steam.  Additionally, while I don't seem to have blogged about it, I apparently started building the sleeves at some point because the sleeves were underlined, the seam connecting the upper and lower sleeve was sewn and pressed, and the hair canvas was applied to the cuff. 

In any case my first step was to finish step 67 and actually finish the collar.  I don't know why I found this so very overwhelming two years ago.  I turned the collar facing under and used fell stitches to attach the facing to the collar. 

I then pressed the collar and put the jacket on my dress form while I finished the sleeves.

After that was done, I finished sewing the sleeve seams, made the sleeve buttonhole, and basted and pressed the sleeve.

I'm excited about finishing this project.  It seems so silly that I stopped so close to the end.  At this point all that's really left to do is attach the sleeves, build and insert the lining, and do finishing work like buttonholes and buttons.  Then I'll make a pencil skirt to go with it (and maybe a trouser... I still have quite a bit of this wool) and I'll have a well fitted classic suit that actually fits! 

No comments:

Post a Comment