Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Adventures in Denim

My hands are blue.

Despite having pre-washed my fabric, five hours of handling the material has turned my fingers incredibly, solidly blue.  Nonetheless, my first attempt at blue jeans is going VERY WELL.  Tonight I cut my pattern...


Topstitched the pockets...


And then (of course) my sewing machine went all wonky and while the front of my stiches looked fine the back looked like this... (cue noises of disgust)


I cleaned out my machine and fiddled around with the tension until the it started working again and began my assembly...


The fit turned out really well.  I tried on what I have done so far and the only alterations needed  was taking in the yoke at the center back by around 2 inches.  I assume this means I will also need to take in the waistband similarly.  Luckily, this is an alteration I am only too familiar with...


So now all that is left to complete is the waistband and hemming!  I think I may have new jeans to wear by the weekend!  (If I ignore the lack of rivets... But no reason I can't wear my new jeans and add the rivets upon their arrival.  I don't plan on building railroads or generally engaging in activities that will require the added durability!)



The best part is that these really do look like RTW jeans... really well fitting RTW jeans!  I may never buy off-the-rack denim again.  Take THAT Gap! Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment