Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What Would Joan Do? (or Jenny's Mad Men Dress)

I owe a debt to Mad Men creator Matthew Weiner for not only creating fantastically compelling television, but for introducing the world to Joan Holloway/Harris as played by the gorgous Christina Hendricks.  Joan has, in many ways become my fashion icon, my own version of WWJD.


Not suprisingly then, I decided I needed my own Mad Men inspired dress:



The collar and sleeves are borrowed from New Look 6000.  However I replaced the body of the dress with my own princess seamed sheath pattern. 

The dress is constructed with a very dark teal wool found at the Virginia Marti Fabric Store.  (If you are in Cleveland, it is definitely worth checking out as a great source of high quality apparel fabrics.  It is a one of the few alternatives to Joanns or the interwebz.)  My photos don't really do justice to this saturated color.  In real life, it's closer to this color:


I inserted an invisible zipper and fully lined the dress with this silky polyester blend in a blue watercolor floral.  Because if I am going invest the time to make my own clothes I want the insides to be as pretty as the outsides!  It's like pretty underwear... I know that nobody else will see it, but it makes me happy!

1 comment:

  1. And grammie always looked at the inside of any sewn project . . . the inside should be as neat as the outside.

    ReplyDelete